Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

Dear y'all,

As most of you are probably aware by now, the movie "Where The Wild Things Are" is out at the theaters, and doing great, I might add!

When I first saw the previews, I was all excited because I'd read that book MANY, MANY times during my childhood. As a matter of fact, over the years, I've pulled it out of storage and read it just because it was such a magical story. So, naturally, once I found out there was a movie coming out, I immediately knew that I had to find my childhood book and read it.

See, when I was just learning to read, Mama got me in to a book club so that I could read all about fantasy lands and princesses and wonderful creatures and Aesop's Fables and curious monkey's and elephant's named Babar and all that fun stuff. But, "Where The Wild Things Are" was just the best.

(Side note: When I saw the previews, I was all "Oh my God, I loved that book when I was little! I'm surprised they made a movie out of it because I didn't think many people had even heard of that book", and my friend was all "Are you serious?", and I'm all "Yeah!", and he's all "Tammy, every freakin' body read that book when they were little", and I was "Get Out!". I seriously did not know that it was such a popular book. I swear to God, I didn't. I have no clue how that little fact got past me.)

Well, this past Sunday, while at my parents house, I started tearing through all of Mama's "store stuff" places in the house, looking for "Where The Wild Things Are" because I wanted to read it to my niece, Zhen, along with some other of my childhood books. I could still see, very clearly, what the cover of that little hardback looked like:



Of course, you know me and my luck, I couldn't find it. I have a sneaky suspicion that I took the book years ago and have subsequently lost it during cross-country moves, or something like that. I was terribly upset... as was Mama because I had completely destroyed two bedrooms and a suitcase looking for it. Yes, I said suitcase. She has some of those many books stored in an old suitcase that is never used except to store things like that under the bed. (Hey, don't knock it - it works. It's perfect for under-the-bed storage because you can just grab the handle and pull and voilĂ  - there it is.)

Anyway, as I said, I couldn't find the book but we're hoping it's still somewhere in the house or storage building. Time will tell. In the meantime, I did come across some of my other favorites from my childhood that I was able to read to Zhen and she just adored them!


("The Cookie Tree")




("Miss Suzy" and "It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown")




("How Fletcher Was Hatched" and "The Terrible Thing That Happened at Our House")



But one of my most awesome ones was this one, that I didn't read to Zhen, but if she ever becomes one, I'm totally gonna compare hers to the old one I had from about 35-ish years ago:



MY BROWNIE BOOK!!!

Oh, I so loved being a Brownie and I read this book all the time! Although I never made it to being a Girl Scout (by then my tomboy-ish-ness had kicked in), I did get to sell the Girl Scout cookies and my Daddy couldn't have been happier because, to this day, he totally has a love affair with Thin Mints.

Hope y'all enjoy "Where The Wild Things Are" and it takes you to that wonderful time in your childhood when everything was just magical!

Sparkles 'n kisses!!!

Love,
Tammy

COMMENT THIS BLOG

2 comments:

  1. Loved it!! Gabrielle just checked that book out from the library at school on Monday. We read the book a few times and later that evening I saw a commercial for the movie!! I think we're going to see the movie together!!

    Fabulous Post!!!!!!!!!XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you just love that book?!?! I am heartbroken that I can't find my book from my childhood, but I'm sure I'll come across it soon!

    Hope you and Gabrielle enjoy the movie! I know I will!

    Thanks for stopping by, sweetie pie!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment!